Wednesday, October 7, 2009

999,970: Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson — Who's Laughing?

This song totally nails an emotion that is largely missing from rock ‘n roll: nervous apprehension. Lots of rock ‘n roll is about swagger, but personally, I don’t typically strut confidently into to the thick of things with my hand on my crotch, yelping. I usually sort of uncomfortably edge my way into unpleasant everyday situations, always with an eye on the exit. There are a lot of things on this record to get annoyed about: the overly treated vocals, the fake rock ‘n roll accent, and- and I’m going to be absolutely honest about something that I realize shouldn’t have any bearing on whether I like the band or not- I find it annoying that the dude has four names. But the tentative, almost meek way the distorted guitars come in as the song starts to build just after the two-minute mark has a lot in common with how I feel most of the time. You can almost see the guitar player looking around, sweaty and unsure, ready to bolt the second he realizes he isn’t supposed to play on this track. Don’t get me wrong: like just about everyone else, I do manage the odd swagger. But also like just about everyone else, mostly I don’t. Sometimes I want to listen to a song that reflects that.

No comments:

Post a Comment