Saturday, April 28, 2012

999,872: Steely Dan- Fire in the Hole

Everyone always talks about what song they want played at their wedding or even funeral, but what about what music you want playing when you are dying? While not afraid of flying per se, I do THINK about the plane crashing every time I fly. I also think about what music I would quickly pull on my itunes if I knew it was going down in the next 10 minutes. Now, some of you may be thinking, "Is this really the time to be listening to music?" Aside from clutching a stranger on a flight, what else are you going to do with yourself? Obviously I think the Dan is the right choice. Specifically "Fire in the Hole." You got a nice keys intro/solo, the usual complex chord changes, a jammin' rhythm, some slide (sliding you into the next realm), and a great guitar outro! What more can you ask for musically? Plus, lyrically, the song is ostensibly about a man wanting to get out of a relationship, but you could repurpose the words to getting out of a relationship....with life.

 Examples:
 "There's no where left to turn." Nope! Not when you are going to die
 "My life is boiling over" ....so it's time to die
"I wish someone would open up the door" ....to heaven
 "There's a fire in hole" Hole = plane engine

 

No comments:

Post a Comment