Thursday, April 5, 2012

999,784: Aqua- Doctor Jones



Of the senses, Music and Smell are the most memory based for me (and everyone else?). I can walk into a random store, smell something, and immeadiately get sweaty palms because I'm being emotionally transported back to a piano competition in 1992. AHHHH!! GET THAT FRUIT PUNCH BODY SPRAY (or whatever it is) AWAY FROM ME~ Obviously music is the same, but unlike most random smells, you can call up (practically) any tune you want to hear with the power of the internet behind you!

Aqua was a cross between the B-52s and Ace of Base which I found (and still find!) to be a perfect pop combo. My elementary school years were spent listening to rock/oldies (with my dad) and grunge/punk (with my older sister). However, everyone hits puberty and weird things happen. When I heard Barbie Girl on the radio in 7th grade, my little heart started pounding fast and I thought MORE OF THIS PLEASE!! Maybe it was the chick-singer's Scandanavia-meets-The-Valley accent. Maybe it was the fact that the guy looked like Billy Zane (and I was into that). Aqua's debut album Aquarium was the first CD I asked if someone would give me the money to buy. However, I tired of hit single "Barbie Girl" fast. "Dr. Jones" was what I kept repeating on my boom box before and/or after listening to Loveline. It's way more serious and crazy and love-infested.

To this day, this song produces an equal measure of excitement and dread when I hear it. You can't redo your youth! "Sometimes the feeling is right, you fall in love for the first time. Heartbeat and kisses so sweet, summertime love in the moonlight". Oh god, what did I do to myself?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment