Wednesday, April 25, 2012

999,873: Smith- Baby It's You

Quentin Tarantino gets talked about a lot for referencing/paying homage/ripping off other movies, but he doesn't get enough credit for popularizing obscure old hits. After I saw "Grindhouse" in theaters, I had an immediate itch to buy the "Death Proof" soundtrack. Mainly for this song. There's actually nothing more satisfying in life than hearing someone wail this hard. NOTHING!! Smith's track "Baby It's You" shines so brightly because it builds like a mofo, thanks to producer Del Shannon, who utilizes Gayle McCormick's voice perfectly. Also since this is the days before autotune, you can hear every crack and quiver. Recently, I had someone tell I should buy a vocal effects pedal that, in addition to doing other things, smooths out any pitch discrepancies while one is singing. I think this song proves that the emotional soul of performance lies in the imperfection mixed in with the perfections. Also, things that modern pop songs lack that this has:
 A) major horn section
 B) major Organ
 C) the "drop out" in sound
Bottom line: I wish Quentin Tarantino could make me mix CDs on the weekly so I wouldn't have waste countless hours scouting though old music on Spotify or blindly buying old compilations at Amoeba.

No comments:

Post a Comment