Wednesday, March 31, 2010

999,818: PP Arnold — Angel of the Morning

Man, that free love movement of the 60s was great for everyone…EXCEPT when those pesky feelings of attachment got involved. The culture of loving the one you're with kind of sucks when they leave you high and dry. It was particularly hard on women what with getting pregnant and stuff. Oh, YOU THINK I'M BEING A DOWNER? I'm sorry. I guess I should be just like the woman in "Angel of the Morning" (written by MAN, Chip Taylor in 1968) and cure my free love hangover with a shot of cold hard truth. "They'll be no strings to bind your hands, not if my love can't bind your heart." Womenz Oh! Our only purpose is trying to tie a man down. That's all we are! Man-catchers! Doncha know?

I mean, honey, "just call me angel of the morning then slowly turn away." I'm so desperate I just want you to "touch my cheek before you leave". We fucked last night, but a cheek touch is all I'm really after, you know? I'm not a prostitute. However," I won't beg you to stay with me though the tears of the day", but I WILL tell you about it to make you feel guilty.

"Angel of the Morning" has been recorded by basically EVERYONE (it's charted like 2,054 times, look it up!). The algorithm, for some reason, really seems to be promoting the PP Arnold version of the song. I think it's because PP Arnold was cool in a major way. She was an Angeleno like myself, but found popularity in England and toured with The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, The Who and David Bowie. PP's emotionality comes through in this recording based on the sheer number of bewildered girls she must have witnessed. There had to have been tons of groupies leaving whatever tour bus she was on EVERY MORNING. That's incredible amount of intensity for an onlooker to take in. I mean, if you had a wild night with Keith Moon, your life is basically over after that, right?! Anyhow, if you're having a pity party, this is like THE go-to song.

No comments:

Post a Comment