Monday, March 8, 2010

999,828: Eric Carmen — Hungry Eyes

Oftentimes, pop songs walk the delicate line between "romance" and "stalking" or "desire" and "rape-y sounding". "Hungry Eyes," off the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, gets real close to crossing the line. It starts out innocently enough, but isn't every road to hell paved with the best of intentions? Eric Carmen quietly delivers "I've been meaning to tell you, I've got this feeling that won't subside." Awwww, he's admitting his feelings to his crush. Sweet! But then gets darker, FAST. "I look at you and I fantasize. You're mine tonight. Now I've got you in my sights...with...these...hungry eyes." Maybe this girl is down, but his tone is a pleading one. He continues, "I want to hold you so hear me out." Sounds like the objection of his affection was interested in leaving. If a boy I liked professed his love for me, he wouldn't need to ask me to stay; I'd be sitting there smiling! Eric Carmen sings "Did I take you by surprise?" but doesn't wait for a response, only answers his own question, "I need you to see this love was meant to be." I'm of the opinion that if a love is meant to be, both parties involved are willing participants that don't need to be convinced once feelings are laid on the table. Although the saxophone solo makes a strong argument.

Needless to say, I loved this song when I was 8 years old and someday imagined a boy singing it to me. I remember my sister guffawing at me, "You want a boy to sing you a song?! That's ridiculous Camille. Do you know how ridiculous that would be?" Time has passed and I am now a woman, but I still wouldn't mind having a guy sing me a song. Just not this song. If a guy is singing me this song, well, I'd probably be trying to dial 9-1-1 on my cell phone. I mean, just look at Eric Carmen's mug shot below. This guy is NOT messing around!





No comments:

Post a Comment