Friday, May 28, 2010

999,796: Kool & the Gang- Hollywood Swingers

When I was a young pup, my ideas of adulthood were completely based on my parents, movies and music. Seeing early 90s films like Singles, Swingers, Indecent Proposal, Reality Bites, and Pretty Women with my older teenage sister gave me a good idea of what people did in their twenties: drink/smoke a lot, have business meetings in which business was not discussed, have sex- sometimes for money, also: do nothing (NO wonder our economy is tanking now!!!!) Add to that my mom and I dropping my sister off in the minivan at clubs on Hollywood Blvd ("I'm coming back in two hours for you! You better not go anywhere but this all-age punk club!). Anyhow, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what would go on. Little did I know that punk rock would consist of Blink 182 by the time I hit high school. The punk clubs my sister went to didn't even exist anymore. Not that I liked punk that much anyway. I was more interested in the 70s R&B and Disco. I got "old school" compilations whenever I was allowed a CD purchase. "Hollywood Swingers" was one of those songs that made me yearn for adulthood. This song always accompanied the easy-breezy twenties of my childhood imagination. Maybe it's because of the song's repetition and length or how the thematic contents are about "making it in Hollywood" Maybe it's cause at the time it sounded like what i thought of as a jazz song (a genre I associated with old people), but I inexplicable thought of this song as grown-up.

In my dreams I had a spacious apartment, throw elaborate multi-course dinner parties and looked like Bridget Fonda. Guys like Ethan Hawke came over to discuss philosophy. Vince Vaughn would pick me up for swing dancing. AND THIS SONG WAS ALWAYS PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND. Many things have changed since then. The idea of discussing Kant/Camus makes me want to barf in my mouth even with a hot guy. I don't even know if places to swing dance exist. Vince Vaughn is a fatty frat boy now. BUT, this Kool & the Gang jam still seems... sophisticated.

1 comment: